New Jersey Bribery Lawyers Defend the Rights and Freedom of Those Charged with Federal Bribery Offenses
Have you been charged with bribery of a federal official? A conviction on federal bribery charges carries serious penalties and the long-term consequences of a criminal record for your personal and professional life. Turn to the federal bribery defense attorneys of Agre & St. John to help protect your reputation and future. Our attorneys have seven decades of legal experience in the field of criminal law, having served as both prosecutors and criminal defense attorneys. Our background gives us unique insight into how criminal cases are prepared, allowing us to develop tailored case strategies to help our clients obtain favorable outcomes in their cases. Let us help you defend your rights and freedom if you are facing bribery charges.
Because bribery is a serious criminal offense under federal law, you need experienced legal counsel to help you pursue an effective defense strategy. Contact Agre & St. John for a free initial case evaluation to discuss your legal options with our New Jersey bribery lawyers.
When facing federal charges, trust Agre & St. John's experienced attorneys to mount a vigorous defense and protect your rights in complex federal criminal cases. Call 856-454-8674 or complete our online contact form for a confidential consultation.
What Are the Federal Bribery Laws?
The general federal bribery statute is contained in 18 U.S.C. s. 201. The statute defines the offense of bribery as giving, offering, or promising anything of value to a public official or someone selected to be a public official for the purpose of:
- Influencing an official act
- Influencing a public official to commit, aid, or collude in any fraud or opportunity for the commission of fraud upon the federal government
- Inducing a public official to engage in any action or omission that violates the official’s lawful duty
The crime of bribery also includes any act by a public official to demand, receive, accept, or agree to accept anything of value in return for being influenced in the performance of any official act, to commit or aid any fraud, or to do or omit to do any act that violates the official’s duty. The federal bribery statute also outlaws giving, offering, or promising anything of value to any person with intent to influence their testimony under oath before a court, Congress, or any federal agency or commission, or accepting anything of value in exchange for having one’s testimony influenced.
What Kinds of Conduct Might Lead to Bribery Charges?
Examples of conduct that may give rise to a federal charge of bribery include:
- Giving contributions to an elected official’s campaign in exchange for the official facilitating the award of public contracts
- Offering payments to an elected official to purchase their vote
- Offering something of value to an elected official in exchange for the official securing a government position for the contributor or their family member or friend
- Offering money, property, or services to a judge to influence their ruling in a case
- Offering government regulators a bribe to overlook violations
- Giving a witness something of value in exchange for altering their testimony or falsely testifying under oath
Don't face federal charges alone – schedule a confidential consultation with Agre & St. John's skilled defense team to understand your options and build a robust defense strategy.
How Can the Federal Bribery Defense Attorney of Agre & St. John Help You Face Your Charges
Bribery charges are a serious federal crime that can impact your reputation and future. An arrest and conviction may mean prison time and fines, plus a criminal record that may make it harder to obtain housing, employment, or educational or financial opportunities in the future. You deserve experienced legal counsel who will fight to protect your rights and aggressively pursue a favorable resolution to your charges. Let the New Jersey bribery lawyers at Agre & St. John advocate for you by:
- Independently investigating your bribery charges to obtain all available evidence in your case, rather than simply relying on evidence turned over by federal prosecutors
- Evaluating your legal options and potential defenses in your case
- Explaining your criminal charges to you, preparing you for what to expect in the federal criminal justice system, and answering your questions as you arise to give you the information and advice you need to make informed decision
- Challenging the government’s case against you at every available opportunity, including moving to exclude improper evidence or witnesses or filing motions to reduce or dismiss your charges for insufficient evidence
- Tirelessly pursuing the best possible outcome for you, whether that means getting your charges dismissed, negotiating with the prosecution for a fair plea agreement, or advocating your innocence at trial if you choose to contest your charges
Contact Our Firm Today for a Free Confidential Consultation to Discuss Your Options with Our New Jersey Bribery Lawyers
Don’t wait to obtain legal representation to protect your freedom, reputation, and future when you’ve been charged with bribery. Contact Agre & St. John for a free consultation to speak with our experienced federal bribery defense attorneys about your case and to learn more about how our firm will pursue a favorable resolution to your charges.