Millions of traffic violation tickets are issued each year in the United States. While most offenses are nothing more than an inconvenience, drivers with multiple traffic violations or those charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can face serious legal consequences.
Stiff penalties and substantial fines, car insurance surcharges, loss of license, and jail time are common penalties for traffic violations. Consultation and representation by an experienced and qualified traffic violations lawyer can ensure that the driver’s legal rights are protected and that the penalties for the violations are minimal.
Types of Traffic Violations
The following is a list of the most common traffic violations:
- Failure to yield to traffic
- Failure to obey traffic lights
- Reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Driving on an expired or suspended driver’s license
- Illegal U-Turn
- Failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk
- Leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident
- Driving while intoxicated (DWI) and driving under the influence (DUI)
- Non-working headlights or taillights
- Illegally parked in a handicapped spot
- Expired parking meter
The severity of the consequences between the traffic violations fluctuate based on the nature of the violation. A speeding violation or failure to obey traffic signs or signals can have catastrophic effects if a car accident occurs. Distracted driving is now the number one cause of fatal car accidents in the United States. While driving without a license may seem less dangerous, most drivers that engage in this behavior have a history of reckless driving or a DWI charge.
How Can a Traffic Violations Lawyer Help?
Drivers that accumulate multiple traffic violation citations or those that commit serious offenses that result in injury or death stand the greatest chance of serious penalties. An experienced traffic violations lawyer can ensure that the charges against the driver are valid and that the penalties are fair. In some cases, a traffic violations lawyer can even negotiate dismissal of the charges or have the penalties reduced.
There are three main skills that a traffic violations lawyer can bring to the table:
- Consultation: Consulting with a qualified and knowledgeable traffic violations lawyer is essential to a successful outcome. The lawyer can review the details of the charges and establish the best legal course of action. Their knowledge of state laws will provide the best chance for dismissal of the charges or a reduction to the pending consequences for the violations.
- Negotiation: An experienced lawyer’s relationship with other lawyers can help when negotiating the charges and penalties imposed upon a driver. Their professional network of lawyers, prosecutors, and judges can keep drivers out of the courtroom and possibly out of prison.
- Representation: In the event a case goes to trial, it is vital to have an experienced traffic violations lawyer representing the defendant in the courtroom. Their knowledge of the law and courtroom procedures will ensure that the legal rights of the defendant are protected.
Haddonfield Traffic Violations Lawyers at the Law Offices of Robert N. Agre Represent Those Charged with Traffic Violations and Offenses
If you are facing a traffic violation charge or offense, the Haddonfield criminal defense lawyers at the Law Offices of Robert N. Agre can help. Call us at 856-428-7797 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation today. Located in Haddonfield, New Jersey, we serve clients throughout South Jersey, including Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, and Salem County.